I am a CNRS permanent researcher at the Centre for Energy and Thermal Sciences of Lyon (CETHIL). I am particularly interested in the physics of energy transport and its engineering. I work in the "Microscale and Nanoscale Heat Transfer" (MiNT) group at CETHIL, that I have the pleasure to coordinate.
My research interests include nanoscale heat conduction (ballistic and wave effects) and nanoscale thermal radiation (sub-wavelength and near-field phenomena), and their application to energy-harvesting and conversion devices. I have been involved in both theoretical (Boltzmann transport equation, fluctuational electrodynamics, etc.) and experimental investigations (electrical measurements of deposited devices and scanning thermal microscopy).
I have been working at CETHIL since 2011. The Centre belongs in particular to CNRS, the French National Research Centre (main scientific body in France) of which I am part. It is located on the campus "La Doua-LyonTech" (Lyon is the second largest urban area in France) and belongs also to its host, the National Institute of Applied Sciences (INSA Lyon, largest of the French engineering schools), and to the neighbouring University Claude-Bernard Lyon I (UCBL).
Online useful material
- A new network devoted to NAnoMaterials for Energy (NAME) is being set up at the French level from 2020
- Eurotherm conferences on Nanoscale and Microscale Heat Transfer are the European key conferences of our field. Information and slides of the 2014 edition that we organized in Lyon are still downloadable. Following conferences took place in Santorini (Greece) in 2016 and in Levi (Lapland, Finland) in 2018 (some photos available here).
- The key conference on nanoscale heat transfer in USA is the MRS Nanoscale Thermal Transport session taking place every odd year in the Spring session. Last editions took place in Phoenix (2019, 2017) and previous ones in San Francisco.
- E-MRS symposia devoted the nanoscale thermal transport are organized almost every two years. See the program of the last one which took place in 2019.
- The scientific school “Wave phenomena and phonon thermal transport” took place on September 2017 in Oléron (France). Presentations can be found on the website: here.
- The website of the EU project EFINED (Energy Filtering Non-Equilibrium Devices) is online here. Some news here!
- A large EU project devoted to thermal nanometrology (QuantiHeat) ended in 2017. You can read the final newsletter which summarizes some of the results of the project in the website.
The regularly-updated Twitter account dedicated to news in the nanoscale heat transfer communinity is here! The Mailing List associated to the news is firstname.lastname@example.org: feel free to subscribe!
Prior to settling in Lyon, I worked at Ecole Centrale Paris (Eng. degree and MS 2004, PhD 2007 at Laboratoire EM2C), at the NanoSciences Institute of Paris (INSP, an Institute of CNRS and Sorbonne Université - Univ. Paris 6 Pierre-et-Marie Curie at the time), and at the Catalan Institute of Nanotechnology (ICN) in Barcelona (2008-2011).
In 2012, E. Mathieu and S. Lamige, impressive jugglers, suggested to make videos explaining concepts related to heat transfer. These videos are shown to youngsters visiting us during the science festival each year. Feel free to have a look here and there...